View Single Post
daycarediva 01:08 PM 12-20-2014
This is such an old thread.

The same is true for nap time at daycare. You cannot force a child to sleep. The parents who say "these providers are so mean to force children to sleep for X time in the afternoon and now I can't get them to sleep at night before they took a long nap at daycare/preschool/whatever"

^ contradictory statement.

I also don't know a single parent who keeps the evening/bedtime routine consistent. There is real life. Errands, phone calls, rushed meals. Our schedule is always busier/more active for the children as well. It is also so consistent here that after lunch, the kids start prepping themselves for story/cuddles and rest time. At lunch, the kids are saying "I'm so tired!"

I find that children who spend the most 1:1 time with their parents are the easiest to get to bed. Most kids realize that the bedtime fight is a good way to get some easy attention. It's also typically positive attention (more reading, back rubs, snuggles with parent/s).

EVERY MONDAY MORNING like clockwork I have cranky, miserable, whiny kids who are unable to participate to the point that I do NOT plan anything but a laid back/easy going day. Nobody napped, they were dragged from activity to activity and place to place. Late bedtimes. Lots of excitement. Nap times gradually (and noticeably) decrease from Monday (a good 3 hrs) to Friday (60-90 minutes). They get up happier and come in happier as the days progress. I offer children books, busy bags, quiet puzzles and sensory shakers on their mats. They always lay down and go to sleep instead.

I am REQUIRED by the state to offer a rest period. If the children sleep, they sleep.

Sleep begets sleep. Hyperactivity in the evening is most likely an overtired kid. My own 6 year old naps on weekends and breaks from school. He has no problem with bedtime. He comes home from school exhausted by Friday without a nap all week. He sleeps a good 2 hours on weekends and 8-6 M-F. He often falls asleep during our reading in bed.