View Single Post
familyschoolcare 07:39 PM 01-09-2012
OP

Your orginal post makes it sound like some/most of the time your child hits out of fustration. Given that he is two that might mean that he does not

know any other way to act when he is fustrated. He needs to learn apporiate ways to behave when futrated. I suggest you and daycare starting what I

call thinking time outs (yes he is old enogph for this). Put the child in timeout in a few mins maybe not even as long as you would ussualy leave child in

timeout, go to child as why are you in a time out. This is the part that can be hard to do, Do not accept the answer I do not know. If/When you

get that answer tell him you are in a time out because you .... and we do not .... Because ...., then say I will give you some more time to think about

this and walk away (the amount of time you leave the child is directly poputional to how old they are, a very young child like a two year old you

could stay with them for a few secound instead of walking away) then return repeat the question, repeat this process untill you get a age/develpmentaly

apportiate answer back. When develpomentaly appriate expect a reason for why "we" do not do that when develpmentaly apporiate except one or several

was that he could handel the situation in a manner that would not get him in a timeout, for very young children (ones that thinking of a different way to

handel is not developmentaly apporiate) give them 1 maybe 2 ways they could have haddel the sitution that would not have resulted in a timeout.

Your son is only this solving this problem (or starting to) could be as easy as teaching him to say "Hey you made me mad because you ...) or I am sad right now becasue ...