View Single Post
Josiegirl 04:41 PM 10-06-2017
Originally Posted by Leigh:
I do not have one single child in my care right now who will eat whole wheat bread. Even infants throw it on the floor. They're not impressed with whole grain noodles, either. One 3 year old shouted at the table "this is disGUSTing!".

My kids will eat Pepperidge Farm Jewish Rye-at $4.26 per tiny loaf or white bread. I'm going to try replacing as much bread as possible with whole grain buns.

I'm all for eating more whole grains, but the kids are very unimpressed. I get it-it took ME many tries before I switched to whole wheat noodles for my own family. I, too, hate whole wheat bread. If I'm wasting carbs and calories on bread, I want it to be one of those dense, delicious breads that I LOVE. I know they'll eventually get used to it, but when they get white bread at home, they are unlikely to want to eat it here. I used to serve only whole grains, but a few years ago, I gave up and switched to white bread and noodles because I was sick of throwing food away. I literally threw away 90% of breakfast (whole grain blueberry pancakes) and not one kid touched their sandwich at lunch today on whole wheat bread, though it DID get them to eat more vegetables than usual!
What about whole grain pita breads or bagels/english muffins? I've tried the whole wheat buns and my dcks won't eat them. The noodles either, although I've gone 1/2 and 1/2 and they'll eat those. They have no problem with whole grain crackers but ya can't serve them every day.
I'm confused about what is whole grain and what's not. I'm sure the list is somewhere on the site. Quinoa, oatmeal, flax seed, couscous, corn meal, barley...? We do eat brown rice.