View Single Post
Leigh 07:23 AM 10-11-2017
Originally Posted by Baby Beluga:
I have always served whole grain everything - pasta, bread, rice, oatmeal. I'm the bulk bin queen

We always do plain greek yogurt (usually store brand) and I add in organic vanilla, almond, flax seed granola and fresh fruit. My kids never mind. Occasionally I do vanilla yogurt with pumpkin for a "pumpkin pie yogurt" but otherwise it's plain here.

FWIW I am not on the food program. After joining a FB group made for DC lunches I was surprised at the number of providers who served white bread. Isn't that the same as serving a bunch of sugar? And especially before nap time.
I used to serve only whole wheat bread, but none of the kids ever ate it. For years. They all refused it. I finally gave up and gave them the white bread that they get at home. I do serve Jewish Rye to them, as well, and they will all eat that.

Sugar before nap? I wouldn't worry about that. Data shows that sugar does not amp up behavior-that a parent who is simply TOLD that their child had sugar will report behavior issues, even though their child had no sugar. I did tons of research on this, and called my FP rep who sent me even more info supporting what I had read. This was because I had a parent asking me to stop giving her kids fruit because she believed the sugar in fruit caused behavior issues (the behavior was caused by abuse/neglect/ODD/living in a chaotic environment with an alcoholic/and literally being confused over who their parents were).