View Single Post
e.j. 11:32 AM 01-11-2018
I know the questions wasn't directed toward me but I thought I'd chime in because my food program rep sent out an email message addressing the issue of whole grain crackers. She said the only whole grain crackers we can claim are Triscuits and Whole Grain Gold Fish. They're the only ones that are truly whole grain. This is quoted from the email she sent:

As you all know, you must be serving one whole grain a day. This can be whole wheat or whole grain bread, whole grain pasta, brown rice, cheerios, or oatmeal. Those are the main ones. There are only two crackers that you can claim as whole grain: goldfish and triscuits. None of the others are actually whole grain, including wheat thins! I just found this out at our meeting last week. So if you are claiming graham crackers, wheat thins, or any other crackers other than those, it will not count as a whole grain. If you claim a cracker other than triscuits or goldfish as a whole grain, you will be receiving menu errors. If you are writing out menus, please indicate whole grains by writing “WW” or “WG”, Internet claimers must click off that a bread serving is a whole grain.

You are not allowed to serve any sweet grains. This includes cookies, cakes, poptarts, cinnamon breads, etc. Graham crackers and animal crackers are allowed twice a week.