Thread: Out Door Time
View Single Post
brookeroo 06:57 PM 07-18-2012
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Holy moly! You dont have ALL those kids under 2 at one time do you?

Honestly if I were in your shoes and had that many littles I would leave outdoor time to the parent.
I DO! I'm glad you all understand! I was starting to think maybe I was just really bad at this time management thing and couldn't get it together. I feel like some of my parents just aren't understanding how tough it is. They act like I shouldn't have any problems with all this...which I guess I took it on but still....

I guess I was blessed with my own two children. I thought the babies were going to be cake since my own two were so easy! They weren't fussy at all. Slept well... happy.. Just really easy babies.

The two infants I have here are super fussy so it's been kind of a curve ball for me. They are both breast fed. One has really bad acid reflux and it doesn't help that despite that, his mom eats whatever she wants. Has admitted to drinking caffeine and eating spicy foods (jalapenos ect.) without a care in the world. He has gotten much better over the weeks temperament wise and he does sleep a lot more now so it's not as bad. She's been putting cereal in his milk.

The other infant however is more spoiled. He is the youngest 17 weeks and he is as heavy as my 10 month old daughter. His dad has dropped him off a few times and said that mom fell asleep with him feeding on her so he ate all night...therefore is probably not hungry. Naturally this boy has been a handful since he wants that all day too. I suspect they co-sleep regularly based on how fussy he is and how much attention he expects...he cries all...day...long...everyday.

My schedule
17 week old - 7:45am - 5:30pm

20 week old - 7:15am - 5:30pm almost every night even though it was supposed to be 4:30pm as told in the interview

1 year old - his dad (my brother) is a teacher and coach so right now he's part time 7:15 - 12:30 but he will be going to 6:30am - 4pm when school is back in session.

9 month old (my daughter) all day, however I'm lucky because we live next door to my grandmother who loves to take her. She comes to get her often.

19 month old - 9am - pretty much 5:30 most nights even though it was supposed to be 4:30pm as told in the interview

2.5 year old (new as of 2 weeks ago) although this week he had a surgery and has been out. Usually there between 8:30 and 9:30 depending on dad's schedule. Picked up anywhere from 3-5 depending on mom's schedule.

So for now I kind of like having a couple older kids here because my 19 month old's mom and dad have made it more than clear that their expectations are that their child has to have outdoor time every single day (weather permitting). Unfortunately that just doesn't feel realistic so many days. Sometimes it works out but only for a short time. I'm sure as they age it will get easier...

It's just tougher than I thought having such a mix of ages. I have pedal gates to keep them quarantined in the playroom out of the kitchen and living room. I have a basement they like to play in although they are constantly up and down the stairs and leave the door open as well as the gates which is frustrating. It's a great play area but I have babies sleep down there too so it's off limits part of the day. Whether in the playroom or basement they have to be able to get to the bathroom upstairs and so they leave the gates and doors open which is a hazard obviously because of the bathroom and also the stairs in the living room as well as to the basement. So having the big kids have it's pluses and drawbacks.

I'm just having a hard time deciding am I off for telling them they have to stay outside for a certain amount of time or should I let them be going in and out as they wish?