View Single Post
Thriftylady 07:24 AM 09-14-2015
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
=================================================
Just as the cdc indicates preschoolers need "in general" 11-12 hours of sleep daily, the generality of the statement implies it likely covers a lot, but not all, kids. I have twin 3 yr olds. One needs about a 90 min. nap daily, the other 30 min. This ensures they go to sleep at night at a healthy time (asleep by around 8-8:30pm). Falling asleep at this time is healthier for them, as they get a longer chunk of total sleep at night (from 8pm to 6am). A daycare that forces my child to nap 120 min. "steals" her nighttime sleep away from her. Then, she only sleeps from 9:30pm to 6am, becomes super cranky and is tired all day. Then, the daycare will 'let her nap' for 2 hours because she is tired. The daycare needs to work with the parents to ensure the best health of each child.
How exactly does one "force" a child to sleep? It isn't possible to force a normal bodily function. That would be like putting a six month old or even a one year old on the potty and "forcing" them to use it. It just can't be done. We legally have to allow them the opportunity to sleep if they need it, and in fact to deny sleep is considered abusive. I will not have child abuse put on me because someone wants me to do something that is considered abuse.