View Single Post
Play Care 03:42 AM 07-27-2015
Originally Posted by racemom:
Do you think 1 year olds need lesson plans? I have been in the infant room for 10 years now, and we have always played. Nothing planned, learn as you go. Well, now our center has been going through state evaluations because of all the changes. I now work with 9 - 14 month olds, and one suggestion was that I should have a written plan for each day. Circle time, art, math, science etc. So, I am wondering how you feel about this, do they need structured days or is playing only ok?
At the risk of being flamed, I don't *necessarily* think it's dumb

Hear me out!

When I have little ones, I sometimes get so caught up in the physical care aspect for them - and depending on the child it can be overwhelming - that I feel as though I overlook some of the other aspects of care. I can see where having a written plan - a LOOSE one - would be helpful.

I mean, let's face it, there are days as a FCC provider that I am so busy changing diapers, getting meals, setting up activities for the big kids, getting kids down to naps, cleaning up from meals, updating paperwork, etc. That the day ends and I wonder if I even talked to the toddler And heaven forbid anyone had a need that was outside the norm, because then the day ends and I KNOW I didn't talk to the toddler much less read them a story, or sing to them, or do finger plays, or sensory, etc.

But obviously it would depend on what the requirements were for curriculum. Anything really inflexible wouldn't work.