Thread: So Sad...
View Single Post
nannyde 11:49 AM 06-22-2017
Originally Posted by Max:
It is quite different. I joined at 18 and served for 6 years. There was no training on how to sacrifice yourself. Training or not, there are soldiers who absolutely should not be trusted with a firearm and who I wouldn't trust to watch my back if we were deployed, yet they remain in our Army. Age has nothing to do with it. People will always slip through the cracks.

My point is that age isn't a factor when determining if you're capable to give your life for others. Irregardless of your profession and irregardless of training. When it comes down to it, you either risk your life or you don't.

Do you mean that 22 isn't old enough, unless you've received specialized training? (Not being rude, just trying to clarify.)

I think sacrificing yourself is something you have or you don't and saying age is the reason she didn't rescue those children is quite insulting IMO.
I don't think 22 is old enough to have the wisdom to know you can't handle 9 little kids... can't leave them alone while you quickly go get something at the target... can't have the TIME under your belt to have small groups that teach you how to care for kids and develop the pure love for their life.... have the selflessness to try to get them out even if you are going to get burned.... the wisdom to ALWAYS check every burner when cooking and when leaving the room with kids who CAN get up... turn off and put out of reach... and on and on.

She didn't have any burns. She lived in a small house. She knew where the confined kids were.

I truly believe it takes maturity to self teach and grow into the idea that their lives are more valuable than your own. I don't think too many workers in fields where they aren't specifically trained to protect and serve... who would lay their life for a kid other than their own. Our natural instinct to self protect has to be dismantled wherein we grow into the idea that first... do everything to avoid being in that position (like not taking kids you can't get out in a fire) and that should tragedy strike you will give your life trying to save theirs.