View Single Post
bunnyslippers 02:34 PM 02-06-2012
I am incredibly strict, and wouldn't have it any other way!

My child care is separate from my home, in my finished basement. I run it as an early childhood center, and do not tolerate disrespect of me, other children, or the materials. The children know that I mean it, and that I will not tolerate inappropriate behavior. We have fun, and we do lots of great activities; however, I will not hesitate to take away all sorts of fun if things get rowdy.

I have strict rules for the parents, too. My upstairs is OFF LIMITS. The day care children are not allowed to play with my children's toys that are upstairs. They are not allowed to use any part of my upstairs except the hallway leading to the basement. I am very clear with these rules, and they are in my handbook and contract, as well as in my reminder letters that I send home.

I think as an early educator (I was a teacher for twelve years before I started this program) it is my job to teach the little ones I care for manners and respect. We review the polite rules of society often, and I expect complete politeness at all times. If they want to go home and act crazy, that is not my business. I am in control in this environment, and I will maintain that control.

I think that I may come across as too strict, and I don't care. When these kids leave me for kindergarten, they are some of the best prepared kids in the class - and I have been told that by many families. Sooo, fall in line or find somewhere else to go!