View Single Post
My Daycare 08:25 AM 06-22-2010
Originally Posted by Persephone:
I've got a set of siblings that I'm watching for the summer (ages 5 and 9)
The mom called me this morning with some issues. Am I out of line with these things? I'm not doing anything anyone else wouldn't do right?

1. Last week they were fighting over who got to sit next to them on the couch. They didn't want my son J to sit next to them...which of course MADE him want to sit by them. Then they jumped up and ran to the chair which of course my son went running to the chair. What ever happened my son (age 3) fell over the side of the chair crying. They said they just moved their leg and he fell. But I find that hard to believe.

Then the next day they (siblings) were rough housing around on the couch and so I told them that they could not sit on the couch or chair unless it was quite time. That was Friday and I told them yesterday too.

While they were crying to their mom last night about it and now she questioning about it. I told her how they were rough housing and she agreed that they couldn't do it, nor can they at home.

She wanted to know when they could sit on the couch again, since she didn't think it was nice not too.

2. Outside food for breakfast. My son has food allergies and I'd rather outside food not be bought in the house. Last week they bought powered doughnuts and toaster pastries. The girl wanted me to put the pastries in the toaster but I told her that I wouldn't since I didn't want the allergen on my toaster. That night I left a note asking for no outside food.

The mom didn't understand since my son would not be eating them. I told her it's not fair to him, since my son LOVED doughnuts before and he can't eat them now and then to have someone eating them right in front of them in his home.

Plus you just never know if that sugar is going to drop on the floor and my son plays there and then he puts his fingers in his mouth and has a reaction.

I told her how bad his allergy was.

Plus I know most sitters won't let other food in their home.

3. Meal time! These kids are SO picky. They don't like most veggies and fruits(almost all). I don't feel like I should cook around their pickyness. I'm already cooking around a food allergy. Which again, they don't like since sometimes my son gets foods they don't.

I told them that they needed to at least try the foods on their plate. The 9 year old doesn't like peas and she had to try them yesterday. The 5 year old ate his and ate them last time and he says "I like these peas, their good!" And the 9 year old replied "You don't like peas...you never eat them at home" I told her "Why would you tell him that...he's eating them right now and says he likes them" She does a lot of thinking for HIM.

So the mom had to tell me today that she doesn't like peas and they don't eat them at home.

I have it listed in the handbook that I don't make them clean their plate but I do think they can try what they are offered.

From what I've gathered from the kids, they can eat what they want at home and if it's a meal they don't like they get something different. One day the 9 year old couldn't believe that the 5 year old was eating something because again he doesn't eat it at home. I told her because he doesn't have a choice here. It's eat or be hungry. I think the one day that they didn't eat because 'they didn't like it' was enough for him!

Things were okay the first 2 1/2 weeks. Then the 9 year old started fussing about having to play where ever they were playing, outside or in the playroom in the basement. She'd send my son to tell me he didn't want to do it anymore. When I heard her say it, I knew it was her.

I don't feel it's too much to ask that they play outside in the mornings before it's 80 outside. And it's not like there's nothing out there. We have a yard full of toys...too many almost!

I'm having my own little issues with them in the first place...mostly listed above. I don't want to let them go because I'm saving the money from this to cover my son's preschool this fall. But with the kid puking in my car last week I'm at the end of my rope right now. Thank goodness that they are on vacation next week!!
Not out of line at all. If you do not treat toys, furniture or whatever right than you can't use it. Outside food is ANNOYING. The only thing I am confused about is the line I bolded above. Can't they eat the things that your son eats if they want too? I guess it depends on what it is. My son gets Pediasure and the daycare kids want it to and I have to say no.