Thread: Venting Thread
View Single Post
Blackcat31 06:57 AM 12-05-2013
Originally Posted by Play Care:
I get paid the Friday *before* the week of care. I have always done it this way. I've never had any issues from this. Most of my families understand this. It works well because I've never been stiffed, and if I do have unpaid time coming up, I can tell parents to adjust their payments accordingly ahead of time.

I had told people that my time off for Thanksgiving was unpaid - I was taking Wednesday off this year as well as Thursday and Friday and just felt better personally taking it unpaid (you know sometimes I want a day off more then I want the money...) Two of my parents gave me the usual amount. I explained it was unpaid time, and I would apply the remaining balance to the following week, and they would just have to pay the remaining balance on Monday. On Monday one parent wrote a check that was more then the balance, and the other hasn't paid. I sat down and wrote out the math for both of them and gave them each a notice letting them know what their situation was and what would be owed.

The one who hasn't paid is CLUELESS. He honestly thought that he was current with payment - and this isn't the first time I've had to address payment issues with him! But my vent (sorry it took so long ) He manages to make me feel like I am somehow in the wrong, he never comes out and says anything, just questions it as though he is trying to see if I am sneaking something by him. The kid is awesome for the most part and he does pay on time and in full (usually) but OH MY GOODNESS!!!!
I have one that does that too.... my DCD works in a bank so he is always acting as if his accounting skills are better than mine but another provider I know who has been in this business for a long time taught me a handy little comeback that will stop this kind of passive-aggressive behavior.

When he asks, questions or comments about his billing, you say "I have a pretty good method of accounting but if you feel there has been an error, just bring me your receipts, cancelled checks and any other paperwork that shows where you may have over paid and I will submit them to my accountant to see where there is an error. She does charge $50 an hour and I'll have to have that paid upfront for her services but I am sure she'll be able to figure out where the discrepancy is."

They will usually stammer and stutter and then say "Oh, well I am sure you know what you are doing"

Works EVERYTIME.