View Single Post
DBug 04:11 AM 07-11-2012
I use two bulletin boards (you can tape/velcro stuff to them to avoid using tacks) and I have those hanging on nails right in the visual center of my living/playroom. The parents can see our calendar, our sign language cards, etc. right when they walk in, and I refer to them every day with the kids during circle time. I have two large canvas prints that I can swap with the bulletin boards for when we have company over. Besides that I have a few decorative shelves that hold special books and toys up high out of the reach of the kids. When company is coming, I can swap out the kiddie stuff for knick knacks.

The other thing I did that made a huge difference was that I completely changed the colour scheme for my toy shelves and furniture. I did all neutrals (BIG change from my previous primary colours!). My toy shelves are 2x3 cubby units (like the Rubbermaid ones) and they are dark brown and my couch and chairs are a cafe au lait colour. The walls are a beige-y colour too. I use artificial plants to add greenery and colour, and to make it look more grown-up too.

I've tried to go to mostly wooden toys to avoid the toy-store-explosion look, and and the toys can all be tucked away off of the floor. I do tend towards minimalism, so I probably have less toys than most (but not so few that the kids are bored), and that makes it easier too.

It's very definitely a playroom during the week, but just knowing that I can switch it back to a living room makes a big difference in my whole outlook on working at home. And, I feel much more comfortable about having people over on the weekends or evenings.