View Single Post
Luke25 08:50 PM 08-21-2017
Originally Posted by Shell'skidfarm:
So just venting here a bit. I have been in the childcare business since 2003 and have not had a vacation in 9 years even though it is in my contract which all parents signed.
The last time I took my vacation was back in 2009. Have been working without another one. Why?
Traumatized due to the fact that last time I mentioned my vacation, I had families threaten to leave if I left. So I took my vacation and sure enough, two families with siblings did indeed give me a two week's notice upon my arrival. This left a bad taste in my mouth and have not wanted to repeat history, hence my not taking a vacation in nine years. Feeling burnt out and finally thinking of myself for once, I gave a 30 day notice last month stating that I would be taking my much needed vacation this month, and sure enough, I already received a two week's notice letter to terminate family of 2 children. It is a heartbreak for me to see that if I'm not here 365 days a year for the families, then I'm no longer good to them. So sad. I also raised my rates a measly $1.00 a day since 2004. All hell breaks
loose. Has anyone else in this business gone though this experience?? Thanks for letting me vent.
I'm sorry! That is terrible!! You definitely need to take a vacation. I tell my parents in the interview that I will possibly need days off since I'm by myself and will always take 2.5 weeks of vacation every year. I let them know that if they don't have back up care that this may not be a good fit. I don't ever want to feel guilty for taking a much needed vacation or for taking care of personal needs (doctor, child events, etc..)