View Single Post
Abigail 07:58 PM 02-08-2011
Holding a Spot:
If you need us to hold a spot for your child, depending on availability we may be able to to do that for a deposit of ½ the weekly rate. The spot will be held no longer than two weeks. This will be applied to your child's first week of attendance, however, if you should decide not to enroll your child after all and they do not attend, the money will not be refunded. If you need the spot held longer than 2 weeks, depending on availability we may continue to hold a spot for your child at the regular weekly rate, however this amount will not be refunded or applied to any week of care, regardless of attendance or enrollment.

I think you are stepping on thin ice because you say you will apply the first two weeks at half the normal rate to the first week of care (technically, refunded part of the holding fee) and anytime after the first two weeks is non-refundable. Then, you state if parents decide not to enroll nothing is refundable. That is confusing because the first two weeks of half the normal rate were just quoted to be "applied", which might not hold up in court. IMO.

I would NOT give any refunds. During those two weeks even, you *could possibly have started someone at the full rate. You're technically saying pay some now for two weeks and I'll hold the spot for free as long as you enroll.

You also contradict yourself by saying "the spot will be held no longer than two weeks." and again saying "if you need the spot longer than two week, we may continue to hold a spot..."

Keep it simple: Don't offer to apply it towards a balance. You're ready to enroll NOW so you either need to get paid for saving that spot or you need to get paid to fill that spot. When I read it, I don't see the part where you charge full weekly rates after two weeks of half the normal rates....that would really through me off as a parent. I think it's a little steep to charge full rate for a holding fee. Do you have an "extended leave" for maternity or illness for a holding fee yet? I have yet to create my final holding fee form, but it IS a separate contract from the regular contract. I'm just not there. You need to make sure you include the dates and the actual dollar amount instead of saying half the normal fee because you have no proof of what this fee is until you state it. If you have more questions, I'll be happy to help. I'll be there eventually.

Holding Fee:
OK, I just typed a paragraph, but I'm not to this point yet. I'll tell you what is in Tom's book of Contracts and Policies on pg. 58.
The provider agrees to hold a space in her program until DATE for the client's child. In return for agreeing to hold a space for the child, the client agrees to pay for provider $XX per week during the holding period. Payment is due WEEKLY/BI-WEEKLY/MONTHLY. If the client decides not to enroll the child before the end of the holding period, the holding fee will not be refundable. The holding fee cannot be applied to care once the child is enrolled.

This was one sample. The only things I don't see is the start date. I'm guessing that can just be considered the day the sign/date it at the bottom of the page. I like this one personally and it's easy to understand. You're not limiting yourself to so-many weeks because you can decide in each situation if you are willing to even hold a space for someone. I also don't see the specific day OR time of day that payment is due. Keep it similiar to your regular contract when fees are due so it's easier to keep track of.