View Single Post
nannyde 02:48 PM 07-30-2013
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Today at drop off, mom asks me: "don't you work with them on writing?" Huh? XXXXXX forgot how to write his name over the summer-you need to work with him on that before preschool starts (in 2 weeks). REALLY?????!!!!!

I don't run a preschool. I don't teach kids how to read and write. We work on numbers, shapes, colors, letters, but NEVER sit at a table to learn, we learn while doing.

If your child MUST learn to write his or her name, then YOU teach them how. I am not going to sit down for some one-on-one time with your kid who thinks his name is qqqnew. He didn't forget how to write it, he never knew how. He can not spell, he can not write. And that is OK-he is TOO YOUNG. If a 3 year old CAN write his name, great. If he can't, it's NOT a big deal. It's not something I am going to worry about for $3 an hour.

Is it just me? Is Mom asking for too much, or SHOULD I be doing this? I make it clear that I believe that kids are pushed too hard these days in my interviews. I firmly believe that formal learning has no place in preschoolers' lives. I believe in learning through play. Nature walks to learn about the outdoors, cooking to learn about directions and numbers and measuring, etc. But I don't want to sit a bunch of preschoolers around a table for lessons, I believe in letting them be kids.

What would you do? What DO you do?
just repeat what said back. Tell her he forgot and he's trying really hard. He can't do it but he's trying. The TRYING is all you need to do. Put a paper and pencil in front of him so he can TRY. Then let her know he tried.