Thread: Lingering DCD
View Single Post
nannyde 03:11 PM 02-26-2011
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
As a parent, I never feel that the responsibility is anyone else's. Its mine, that I have asked for help with by bringing him to them. He became dehydrated there, was kept home and returned with a note from the doctor about drinks. I am not in a situation where I can keep him if the doctor says we must return. I have pushed that as far as I could. I have spoken to the director a few times, and they have had some staff leave. We may be following, but I am not sure how to handle the running issue- and he is really well behaved with me in most other circumstances. ( I do read that all the parents say that....)
YIKES

Any doctor that would allow a seriously dehydrated kid into group care is a doctor I wouldn't go to a second time. That's really scarry.

Maybe you could take liquids for him and right before he goes into the room make sure he has a substantial drink.... come on your lunch break and have a special lunch including a substantial drink... and then bring a drink into the center at pick up and have him drink it right when you arrive. If he's only there nine/ten hours a day and he has what you do plus his breakfast, lunch, and snack drinks you could get enough in him without involving the center?

What sinus medication are they giving him that couldn't be done at home? How many times a day is it? I don't do medication unless it's ordered four times a day or more. If it is three times a day the parent gives it before day care, after day care, and at the child's bedtime or the parents bedtime. This is what my school district does so I follow their policies on medication admininstration.

I have a contract with two centers in my consulting business. Part of what I do is work with the parents and the Dr's offices on "Dr's orders". I'm SHOCKED at some of the orders that come into these buildings. I've been able to work with the Center to get them down to next to zero medication administration (with the exception of their special needs kids). It's really helped the center lower costs. ALOT!!!!!

It's taken a bit of work to get the parents used to it but with strict policies in place and medication administration fees the requests for administration have dropped down dramatically.