View Single Post
momofboys 06:10 PM 12-14-2010
Originally Posted by Preschool/daycare teacher:
What? $175/week for one child?! That's twice what our average area rates are! That would be for two children here. Okay, it's decided, I'm moving there and starting my own daycare Janarae, we are in the same situation, where if we could even get someone for a discounted rate we'd be tripping over ourselves to take them on anyway, especially for those hours! I think you and your husband have made the best decision for your daycare if you need extra income and aren't getting any other responses from families needing care. I hope the mom emails back. Just be sure to stick to your policies with them from the very beginning and don't allow any other favors. Some parents do say they can't afford the rate just to see if the dcp will come down, and then they'll try to negotiate all your policies with them. Pay if they attend or not? "I just can't afford to pay you the day she was home sick", or Oh, but this is going on (sad sob story) and I just can't afford to pay you next week." and then childen come in with new clothes talking about eating out and shopping with mom.
Good luck and let us know if she ever emails back
I think I need to move to a higher-priced area too! I charge about $105/child so for this family I am considering charging about $165-175/week for the 2 kids. I am hoping it works out. I only care for one other family so although I would like more $$ than that I would be happy with it (I hope) since the hours are good. Mom is coming next Tuesday with her kids to meet my family. Keeping my fingers crossed that it works out.

I also think that since she has never paid for daycare that anything sounds high to her. So I am hoping when I meet her that I don't get the vibe that she really could afford more but just doesn't want to pay it. From the sounds of it she & her husband both have good jobs. Hmmmm we'll see!