View Single Post
Play Care 10:55 AM 02-25-2016
This is a frequent issue.
I find SA kids can be tough, usually because they are now used to having their days carefully planned and monitored.They also need kids their age to play with and toys appropriate for older kids.

I firmly believe that SA kids DO NOT belong in a day home with littles.
As pointed out here, there are TONS of SA programs over breaks and vacations. They may cost a little more but are specifically designed for SA kids.

That said, I do take a couple of SA kids, but my rule is that they must have a younger sibling anchoring them in care, and they have also attended my program before going to school. I learned the hard way not to take on SA kids that did not, and by having been here for years, they've already been well trained as to what behavior I expect

In any event, I try to make the day really fun and out of the ordinary. I am normally a screen free day care, but DO allow tablets at quiet time (no internet) or do movies (with popcorn!) at nap. Thankfully in my state the SA kids can be outside without me, and the back of my house is pretty much full windows on the backyard. So I send them out to do "chores" like filling the bird feeders, shoveling, etc. Obviously this last one doesn't work for everyone, but it's a lifesaver here.

That said, I have no problem telling a parent that "your child has outgrown my program and I suggest a program geared for school aged kids would be a better fit."
Good Luck!