View Single Post
My3cents 11:05 AM 10-17-2013
Originally Posted by MCC:
I am getting the impression that they don't want to have her wear the aids or teach sign b/c they are in a bit of denial about the situation. The child has no words, none. She doesn't say anything, though she will "hum" a tune, so I know she does hear music and pitch. If I say "fish" to her, she will say "sss" back- she needs therapy, her aids, sign language, something, probably a combination of all- I am not going to be the one to tell them that, but the child deserves to be able to communicate. I would, what do you have to lose at this point? I would recommend it most definitely. I will say that not all kids talk at the same time either, but in this case you know hearing is not at 100% so most likely this is having a significant effect on the verbalization.

Something I do with my kids that have a hard time with a word that helps is that I put their hand on my throat so they can feel the vibrations of what the word sounds like- It helps. Maybe this would help, she can't hear it but she can feel the vibrations of the word along with what she can hear. Little things like this are learned in therapy and I would stress how much this would help their daughter.

Yes- for me, the biggest issue is the nap, but the parent is mad/offended anyway, so the nap is a moot point.
I responded above to some of this... and being mad and offended at you is not something I would want to work with, esp seeing how your trying to help not hinder-