View Single Post
MissAnn 06:07 AM 05-28-2011
Originally Posted by NiNi.R.:
I also have a house full of girls...OH the drama that comes with that. Anyways, I felt the same..that tattling and hitting was getting way out of hand. I did some research on different behavior charts and combined some ideas to create what would work best in my home. This is how my chart works:

I keep track of the children’s behavior by using a choices clip chart. Children ages 2 and older participate. The children will move up on the chart for making responsible choices and move down on the chart for making inappropriate choices. The best part about this system is that it gives children an opportunity to IMPROVE their behavior and make better choices which allows children to move back up on the chart!

Outstanding Choices- Children who make outstanding choices will get to add a gumball to their machine. Children who fill up their machines with 5 gumballs will get to pick a small prize and take home a special certificate stating what they have accomplished!

Great Choices-Children on purple made GREAT choices at NiNi’s today!*

Good Choices-Children on tan made GOOD choices in at NiNi’s today!

Ready to Learn- All children start each day on green. Clips are moved up and down on the chart according to choices made.

Think About It- Children on yellow will be asked to sit in timeout and reflect about his/her behavior. This is a friendly reminder to follow NiNi’s rules.

Loss of Privilege- Children on orange will have to face flexible consequences given by NiNi. Consequences can be different for different children. Some examples of consequences include: no outdoor play, a toy taken away, etc.)

Parents Contacted Immediately- Parents will immediately be contacted and asked to discuss the situation with their child.

If a child falls below the yellow a written notice is sent home to inform the parent of his/her behavior. If 2 or more notices are sent home in one week I will have a conference with the Parent to discuss the best course of action for the child to get the behavior to stop. If the behavior continues the child will not be able to return to childcare until they can exhibit more control over the behavior.

This has worked wonders for me! The kids are so busy thinking of ways to get their clip to move up on the chart by using their manners, sharing toys, etc. That most of the bad behavior has came to a complete hault.
I don't do any sort of chart like this. This actually encourages tattling. It even encourages parent gossip. Been there, done that. Little Johnny goes home and tells his mom that Little Susie is always on orange. This sparks mom's attention who then makes sure she can see each day who is or isn't on orange. It sets up a negative comparision with both children and adults. It also labels children......good or bad. Even if you don't use those words, they know. Children's behavior should be private and not displayed. Sorry, but that is kind of a pet-peeve of mine.