Thread: Child Who Hits
View Single Post
Heidi 11:34 AM 11-09-2011
Originally Posted by mommiesherie:
Its nap time here now. I may just have to do that. Give him his own space and make him stay in it. Maybe on the carpet with his toys. It would solve the issue of him taking things away from others also. He isn't hitting hard or leaving marks on the other children or anything but its the fact that its daily and nobody deserves to be hit for any reason. I am very curious to know if children who have this behavior at this age tend to be bullies or have aggression as they get older? His parents are good people. I think they do what they feel is best but are not consistant. They do let him get away with bad behaviors but do at some point put their foot down with him. I want him to like coming to my house and not feel like he is gonna be in trouble all day. Chances are he is gonna be in trouble all day though. I know I can not allow him to cause stress to the other children though. Thanks sooo much for eveyones help!
Yep, give him his own space, and let him come out for short periods of time when you can be right there next to him. Model words for him, showing the proper way to get what he wants vs. hitting.

Three questions:
May I play with you?... if no...
May I watch you?....if no..
Then please let me know when you are finished with that toy...

It's probably a mixture of reasons he does this. He wants attention, his communication skills are still developing, and he's an egotistical four year old.

I would discourage his parents from spanking him for this! If he's already served his time at your house, he should not have to be punished again at home. Besides, hitting a child for hitting is just ridiculous...Hit em for other things! lol