View Single Post
blandino 08:58 PM 02-12-2014
So I have read most of the responses, and I just want to add my two cents.

I close for snow days, when it is declared "a state of emergency". I do this because in case of an emergency, I would not be able to transport a child - and emergency services would not be able to make it to me in a timely manner. I feel like that is to much of a liability to have a child in my care, when emergency transpiration is compromised. We very rarely close for a snow day, so far 1 this winter. But I do charge - BUT all but one parent was already staying home. In that case, I am not able to properly do my job (responsibly offer care for a child) due to the weather. It isn't my fault, and it isn't the parent's fault either. But should I lose income because of the weather, when it is no fault of my own ? To me, it would be the equivalent of an office worker, showing up to work, only to be told the power is out. They need the power to adequately do their job - so without it they cannot preform their duties. They would still be paid for the day. Yes, their employer would lose money - but it wasn't the office worker's fault either. They are ready to do their job, but forces beyond anyone's control stopped that from happening.

Now, I understand your child is in a center. To my knowledge, a center closes more often than home daycares because the employees have to make the (possibly dangerous) drive into work, while home daycare employees (for the most part) are already at the daycare. I can understand the logic behind that. Also, IF they chose to stay open - they could have a disproportionate number of children versus employees able to make it in. What if far more children come in than they have staff to care for them ? Then they risk a major licensing violation. Once again, not their fault and not the parents fault.

If they close and don't charge, they lose money. If they close and charge, the parent loses money. I don't have a good, definite, fair, answer, either way one party winds up losing.