View Single Post
Givingthemgrace 06:18 AM 01-07-2015
I used to be one of these parents. I had no experience with children until I had my own. I bought one parenting book from Amazon, The Baby Book by Dr Sears. I truly thought I was doing the right thing by not letting my child cry and talk him through his tantrums, letting the "little things" go like they tell you to in the book. By Age 2 he would tantrum for 4 hours of each day, By age 3.5 he was diagnosed with Disruptive Behavior Disorder NOS. I didn't know any better, and my In Laws still are very permissive and try to give his tantrums attention, and rewards. DH doesn't understand discipline either. My DS is 4 now and still somewhat out of control, but much better, when I have been actually disciplining for the last year and a half. (He may have a different diagnosis coming in the future, we will see). It wasn't until things were really bad with him that I read parenting books with other perspectives, and had the help from therapists. I really may have messed up my child for life. My DD is a different story-she started off being disciplined and does great, but she has an easy temperament too.

Anyway, now I have a daycare family who knows they spoil their child, their excuse is that they had a miscarriage so they want to spoil him. He's really suffering for it-he can't do anything for himself, he screams all the time, always gets his way with mom/dad/his countless other caregivers. I am very close to terming (they are also bad clients).

I do think it's lack of education. Even grandparents now around here don't understand discipline.