View Single Post
Unregistered 10:11 PM 03-05-2017
Apparently, this is how it has been for some time, but no one told me that having a child would mean that my life and career would be held hostage by the school calendar and daycare hours. Now, I TELL EVERYONE. Usually, I am the FIRST person to tell the young and child-free about the trappings of parenthood--because everyone else chooses to repeat cliches about the 'joy' and 'rewards', so as to appear completely in love with their kid. After all, everyone seems fine with it.

Or are they? Maybe they too are venting and waiting for these years to pass, instead of picketing, protesting and trying to change the state law that is the cause. SO MANY that came before us had the same problem and didn't address it. Now the problem is mine and yours, and it will be you children's struggle too if they become parents. Don't be mistaken--the shoulder-shrugging childcare providers participating in the discussion, they KNOW they have you by the b@#%s.

The whole city is at work. Your boss is at work. The boss expects YOU to be at work. But your child's school or daycare provider is closing its doors and leaving you in a lurch [and counting the cash drawer]. You may be able to work from home depending on your job; you make be able to take the kid to the Y, the JCC schools out, or an hourly service like KidsPlay (also at work on a snow day) depending on your income; or you may stay at home and lose a sick/vacation day or lose money.

I raised hell at my day care OFTEN. I also made up my time at work little by little. I stayed late. So, they stayed late with my child over and over and OVER. Yep, I paid late fees because I could afford to. The look in their eyes when I came for pick up, tells me they didn't want the money--they wanted their time back and they did not want the inconvenience.

Hmm. Well, imagine that.