View Single Post
Old 04-06-2020, 10:23 AM
TomCopeland's Avatar
TomCopeland TomCopeland is offline
Business Author/Trainer
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: St. Paul, Minnesota
Posts: 3,066
Default unmarried

Originally Posted by Red View Post
Hi, I operate a registered daycare out of our home but I am not on the deed/title and we aren't married yet. I pay for half of all household expenses and use the entire downstairs for the daycare. I also have a playroom used exclusively for the daycare. How do I deduct anything on my taxes?
Since you aren't married and your name is not on the deed, you can't claim any portion of mortgage interest, property tax, and house depreciation. You can deduct expenses you pay for such as utilities, house repairs and home improvements. You can calculate your time-space% in the same way as all other providers, including counting an exclusive use room.
Reply With Quote