View Single Post
Sugar Magnolia 10:38 AM 05-12-2015
Ok, i will be the odd ball here, and I know my reply probably won't help with your issue OP, but I'll throw this out there.......

Your lunch problem is exactly why I don't serve lunch. Kids bring lunch from home in a lunch box and I simply plate it and heat up as needed. It is truly a wonderful thing and works so well for me! Yes, I have lunch guidelines that parents must follow....no candy, no cakes, no Doritos, or anything junk food. Lunch must contain a protein, grain, fruit or veggie and dairy. I have zero issues of "I don't like thaaaaaaat". Parents pack things they know their kids will eat. And they eat it. Done. I DO provide morning and afternoon snacks, all kid friendly and proven popular. I also provide milk or juice. It may SOUND like a huge hassle to deal with 12 to 15 lunch boxes and all the containers, but honestly, its not. Containers and bags are labeled w names. Its VERY easy and the kids do truly enjoy their own foods. In fact, most parents choose my center because i DON'T serve lunch. They like knowing exactly what their kids are eating, buy organic, be vegetarian, be glucose free, be Jewish, etc. I had a new mom tell me she left a center because their child wouldn't eat the food served.

I have a friend that does serve 2 meals and a snack. She, like all of you, spends an inordinate amount of time planning, shopping, preparing and administering the food program details. It works for her, and many of you, and I applaud that. It doesn't work for me.

No, I don't participate in the food program for my snacks either. I buy it, save the receipt and write it off my taxes. I don't care about the money anyways, compared to the hoops you all on the program have to jump through.

Anyway, sorry if this wasn't helpful, but I do like to preach the ease of BYOL.