Thread: Venting Thread
View Single Post
Controlled Chaos 10:08 AM 11-30-2016
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Aw, why you picking on Power Rangers...

My kids (both my son and my daughter) loved Power Rangers when they were young!

There is no denying that the show contains violence, in fact when the show first came out a study was done for the Child Study Journal claiming over two hundred violent acts per episode. (Boyatzis, Matillo 1995)

This does not mean that the show should not be watched by children. Violence is an everyday occurrence and the Power Rangers teach children how to deal with and stop violence.

A survey in 2009 stated that over 60 percent of children have been exposed to violence in that year. (Finkelhor, Hamby, Kracke, Ormrod, Turner. 2009)

If that’s still the case wouldn’t we want our children to be able to understand the difference between unnecessary and necessary violence?

In MMPR (Mighty Morphin Power Rangers) the heroes defend the city from evil. The rules of being a Ranger are laid out to never use power for personal gain or let the force escalate unless there is no other alternative.

Being as unrealistic as the show is it still can teach our children when violence should be used and when it should not.

https://www.comicbookmovie.com/other...n-could-a87706
BC even has sources for MMPR?! You're killin me! (in a non violent and age appropriate kind of way)