View Single Post
permanentvacation 02:37 PM 04-30-2012
Mandated Reporter means if you suspect abuse. You know what is going on and that they are not abusing the child, they are doing what the doctor told them to do to try to get their child to stop doing an unacceptable act. So, I would not report them and I would not mention it to licensing. However, I would talk to the parents and mention that they are leaving bruises on the child which won't look good to the general public that doesn't know their situation - (maybe that will make the parents realize that someone not knowing that the doctor told them to bite the child might suspect abuse and report them) and I would ask how the child reacts when they bite him/her and if by them biting the child back is it making the child bite less often or not. It might take a couple of times of the parent 'disciplining' - biting the child before the child learns that if they bite, they will get bitten. But if it's not making the child bite less often and making the child think twice before biting, then maybe biting the child isn't working.