View Single Post
Sugar Magnolia 10:07 AM 10-12-2012
Originally Posted by crazydaycarelady:
He is a small 18mo who has been in my care for 6 weeks. He is VERY busy pretty naughty and doesn't listen. I have been watching him like a hawk but I am getting weary. When he is awake he does things like pulls all the toilet paper off the roll and pushes small babies over, grabs the sign in sheets and scribbles all over them, eats crayons, rips the kids projects while they are trying to work.

I have a play yard gate type thing. He can get out in 2 seconds. Naptime would be my salvation but he can get out of a pak-n-play in a nano second. Today I resorted to putting him in the exersaucer but he got out of that too. I do not have a high chair but I need a place to confine this child at times.

I know "confine" is politically incorrect - but replace me with any other person, have them spend a whole day with this child, and they will be looking for a means to confine him too. Even when he is right next to me he is rotten - pulling babies out of the chair, etc
Help me - he is wearing me out! I cannot get rid of him either. I have his older sister who is great and also they paid me for the whole semester upfront so I would have to give them a BIG refund!
Toilet paper and sign in sheet could be put out of reach, crayons for those under 2 should be closely monitored and removed from use if chewed on. This child needs a separate activity while older kids are doing projects.
If he is climbing out of stuff like the pac n play, exerciser, our anything else, honestly, he should not be in them! The manufacturers directions almost always say to discontinue use once a child begins to climb out, because they will get hurt, possibly a serious injury. You're right, "confined" is not just politically incorrect, in my state, it is a serious licensing violation, the kind that comes with a stiff fine. If a child is not eating or sleeping, "confinement" of any kind is prohibited. I agree with the law. I toured a place I was considering taking a job at. One girl and one boy were strapped on high chairs, crying, with like 2 toys each. Horrifying!!!
I am sorry the boy is making you crazy/miserable, I feel for you, defiant toddlers are tough. I would refund the money and term. If he can't function as part of the group, he shouldn't be in the group. But please don't confine him, he sounds un-confineable, and this could lead to an injury or a very unhappy baby.