View Single Post
Unregistered 07:48 PM 10-03-2018
That was my experience. You document/report any injury that leaves a mark or any head injury.

In past experiences, the instigator gets a report if it is an intentional "attack". If two children are playing together and DCC1 falls and scratches DCC2 with long fingernails in the process of falling, I will write an incident report for DCC2 saying "While playing, another child fell, scratching DCC2 in the process." There is no need to write a report for DCC1 since it was a complete accident. I will, however, write a friendly reminder or speak to DCM/DCD at pick-up letting them know that DCC1's nails need to be trimmed.

If DCC1 and DCC2 are fighting over a toy or DCC1 walks over to DCC2 unprovoked and scratches his/her face, then both get reports written. DCC1 is still given the same note about cutting fingernails.

However, I also make sure to detail the circumstances regarding the injury when relevant. Did Amy bite Katie after Katie took a toy out of Amy's hands? If so, I will write on Amy's report "While playing with dolls, another child took a toy from Amy. Amy bit the child in response." On Katie's report, I will write "While playing in the classroom, Katie grabbed a toy from another child. The child bit Katie on her right hand in response."

My favorite incident reports:

1. "While playing in centers, Kelly bit herself on the hand leaving a red mark."

2. While on the playground, Elliot scratched himself by running into the playground fence.

3. and 4. (Siblings):

3- "While playing, Willow bit another child."

4. "While playing, Fiona was bitten by another child."

[It's kind of funny writing incident reports for sibling injuries because you're supposed to keep the other child anonymous, but when the same person is signing for the biter and the bitee, anonymity is out the window.]