View Single Post
CalCare 04:20 PM 02-16-2018
I agree with what's been said. I do want to add something. I don't think
that don't think holding baby while sleeping is a higher "level of care", I don't think you are getting baby used to a lesser level of care by not holding to sleep. Lying alone to sleep is really just fine and not a negative. Also, I read your mention of tummy time on the floor and lying on his back to sleep, when in the pack n play. But, he can lie on his back a lot of the time, not just his tummy, when he isn't held or sleeping. My school of thought, we don't force tummy time. Baby will move there in time, on their own.
The babies I care for, I lay them down on their backs to play. They play with their hands, look around the room. Babies don't really need much yet for toys at that newborn stage.
I'm a firm believer that they are best cared for lying on their back on the floor (obviously with cozy blankets etc underneath), developing their motor skills and social skills. Adults can chat with them and observe and baby can interact and observe and make lots of motions with arms and legs, experimenting how they move.
It sounds like you are doing great to prepare yourself and baby for care, creating expectations for him with nap, pack n play, bottles. That's great!