View Single Post
mac60 06:48 AM 09-02-2011
Of coarse I am deducting all I can and I do understand there are good tax right offs.

When it comes to ac/heat....I am open from 6 to 5:15. I have our home comfortable with the heat/ac during this time. Today we are inside because heat index is to be 105. While in the end, I can deduct 41% of my utilities, I do not feel that that is "fair" for lack of another word. Open from 11+ hours day, heat/ac on to a comfortable level, at 9:30 when we go to bed the heat gets turned down or air gets turned up, my biggest expense of the day in running my utilities is the 11 + hours I am open for my daycare 5 days a week. Did that make sense. So while I can deduct a % of my utilities, I am still using more than I am deducting as I see it.

And as for the wear and tear on my home, when a kid vomits on my carpet, I can deduct nothing except the shampoo I use to clean it up. I can't deduct the time spent repeatedly cleaning the area day after day after hours to get the smell out, running the fan for 2 days straight to dry it, etc. I can not tell you how many times I have had to shampoo vomit out of my carpet after hours. I guess I can chalk it up to the hidden cost of my job.