View Single Post
Blackcat31 07:51 AM 01-11-2011
So I have always had what I call the "Hotel California" rule when it comes to toys from home. They can check in any time they wish, but they can never leave..... So any ways, this morning my 3.5 year old (the one still in diapers) comes in with two really nice battery operated Little Tike tools. One was a kid version of a screw gun and the other a kid version of a skill saw. He came in and proudly announced; "Look, what I brought!" So I say, "Oh, wow, you brought me some new toys?" I always ask so they have the option of letting mom take them RIGHT NOW so I don't keep them. The little boys says "no, they are mine" so I say "Well, mom better bring them back to the car right now then" and mom goes "I'll just get them when I pick him up." ....as she is closing the door on her way out!! So now I am totally keeping these toys! I would feel differently IF;
1) kid was new here (been here since birth)
2) kid hadn't had toy issues in past and KNOWS the rules from experience (I kept toys last year and "snuck" them back to mom when kid wasn't looking)
3) mom would be even remotely supportive with any rules I have (this is same mom who lets kid wear undies here but not at home)
4) older sibling had same toy issues when he came here (he is in school now)

So I am totally keeping the toys...even if mom asks for them! I do feel sort of bad for kid because mom is letting him think SHE is right and they don't have to listen to me..... But either way, I am keeping the toys! Am I mean?