View Single Post
Cat Herder 07:33 AM 01-27-2020
My emergency plan includes a landing zone since we are very rural. I set it up, in advance, with my local EMS/Fire when I first opened due to my own child having died of SIDS in daycare and at the time I was caring for mostly children with extreme medical and cardiac issues.

I also have three retired teachers, two homeschool families and two SAHM/LEO families within my cul-de-sac whom I maintain relationships with, in both directions. A few craft supplies, books, curriculum guides and date nights here and there can be invaluable. We benefit in fresh veggies and eggs on the regular and in a crisis, it literally saved one of my other son's life a few years ago.

I had to use my emergency plan, but not with a daycare child. My own son (tween at the time) was in an accident while playing with neighbors kids (summer break). At 3 minutes I had two retired school teachers, three teenage homeschool girls and one LEO on scene caring for my daycare kids (1/1 ratio so they would not be scared. They also did my laundry, washed my dishes and cooked meals to stock my fridge.). At 5 minutes, I helped package and load my son, myself, into the ambulance with a crew I had known for over 25 years (one was there the day my first son died) and had eleven neighbors making calls and picking up my daughter from a sleepover across town. At 9 minutes my son was airlifted to a pediatric trauma center with a crew I had known for almost 20 years. Within 15 minutes all 6 of my daycare kids were with family, my other two kids were packed and we were en route to the trauma center two hours away POV. When I arrived he was coming out of surgery with DH by his side since landing, we went home in six days, in three months he had made an almost full recovery.

Planning and knowing your neighbors makes all the difference in the world. I love my neighborhood.