View Single Post
Cat Herder 06:22 AM 08-03-2011
Originally Posted by dEHmom:
actually she has been in childcare longer than me. she worked at a daycare center for the last like 10 years, and she's all certified etc. I'm not. I'm a SAM who decided to take in some kids. I plan to get certified etc but she comes from the top daycare center in this whole area.
Yeah, but that does not mean she has been in business in your area longer...YKWIM? She was an EMPLOYEE, following someone elses business model WITH help just down the hall at all times. THAT is much easier to do...you just meet minimal requirements and you are the golden child in that world. (ahhhh...minimal effort, how I miss you...)

She also never had to deal with parent, insurance, supply, compliance, equipment or money issues since she had management for that.

It does not work that way when you have to create it all from scratch, especially after having it all handed to you in another setting. Just wait until the first kid does damage to her kids belongings.

Home Daycare and Center Care are two different colored horses...

I have done both and they could NOT be more different.

The parents will expect Center resources at a home daycare budget because of the way she is marketing herself. THAT will be hard to live up to as a new business. You can't promise Steak and deliver Peanuts.

The fact is she still has ratios, just like the rest of us. She is alienating her local resources by stealing their work (you). She is also making the rookie mistake of working with friends .

The standard rate of home daycare failure in the first two years is 50/50. IMHO, she is off to a bumpy start.