View Single Post
mommyneedsadayoff 10:42 AM 09-12-2016
Originally Posted by daycare:
in my recent class I was taking I wrote a paper on high quality does not equate to the amount of money you paid on your environment or how highly educated your staff is. It is how they do it that matters.

you can have a million dollar set up, but if your teachers are not connected with the children, provide a sensitive and encouraging learning approach, you might as well flush everything down the drain.

I honestly don't think that paying a teacher more money is going to change a teachers approach on how they teach.
I have met teachers that have degrees above an beyond, but no patience for the children. No patience or acceptance of the diverse parenting styles.

I don't think that the education we get in the classroom in regards to really understanding the science behind the "why" is enough. Im over 40 and have been in the classroom most of my life. I still feel that I need more training to be a better teacher. I know that there are few teachers that continue going to school over the years and I really think that is where the money needs to be spent.

As an in home daycare provider that does not participate in any government assistant programs, I am given zero support and are never included in any trainings, workshops or etc.

It's really asking how do we get everyone to drink the same water?
I think people are mostly motivated by money when it comes to the job they choose, so I do think that paying more can increase productivity. However, I also understand what you are saying. Some people are not meant to be teachers or to spend their living around children. Sometimes, they realize this too late (after a degree), but many people also figure this out really quickly. I know a few friends who are teachers and literally cannot stand kids, which I get, but it is an odd profession to choose, kwim? I think there are many of us who are invested in this career and deserve to make a good income off of it, but of course, there will always be those whose hearts are just not in it.