View Single Post
snips&snails 10:34 PM 12-22-2012
Originally Posted by :
They will "see" your fully exposed breast and "raise" you a good.... long look..... real..... close..... up...... in your personal eighteen inches of space. They will bombard you with questions and give their opinion while your baby is feeding. They will video tape you and put you up on youtube and facebook. They will use the zoom on the camera when they tape. They will come up with their own captions and comentary and do their own editing. They will use your baby's image however they want whenever they want. The possibilities are endless. If you are going to go public know the public is going to go public too. They will be able to exercise their rights when you are exercising yours. Be careful what you wish for for you shall surely get it.
I disagree - public breastfeeding is much more accepted in many countries & does not face these issues.

I will say that I would never have nursed my child in that situation with a child of that age next to me, as the teen years are a touchy age developmentally, I imagine it would be very uncomfortable for a child of that age. I can understand that in a mixed, up close & personal group of strangers/semi strangers that it could have been handled more diplomatically Of course if I sensed people were uncomfortable I probably would have launched into an informational chat too lol.
However I do think that it was a GREAT opportunity to discuss non-sexual uses of private parts of the body - a calm brief discussion can be very beneficial in such situations in removing the awkwardness. Our society soves breasts & sexuality in our children's faces non-stop - we can't always choose the event but we can seize those teachable moments!Also I feel it is not unreasonable that a male might hold an opinion about how his children are nourished - I hope we all encourage our boys to be involved fathers