View Single Post
The Play Room 11:02 AM 06-07-2017
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Since this is an on-going debate, it reminded me of how a member here posed a challenge to people who strongly believe in the benefits of pre-school and asked that they post proof (actual studies) that showed the benefits of preschool academics for children who were not already academically behind, or living in poverty.

This poster challenged others to find studies they could show/post that proved preschool has it's benefits.

So far no one has been able to do this.

Here is an excellent debate about the benefits of preschool and early education. https://www.daycare.com/forum/showth...fits+preschool
There is definitely two different perspective s with very valid points on each side. I know where i stand but prefer to let others choose for themselves.
For anyone wanting documented evidence re: preschool google "the Perry Preschool Study". This preschool program was NOT academic. It allowed children to be children, to explore their own interest through play. They were not confined to desks to do educational tasks. They had short group times that brought the group together for information, but mostly the children chose what they wanted to work on and with who. The 'teachers' were observers, sometimes co-players. They taught with suggestions and guidance. They introduced new concepts and then let the children go with it. This is definitely NOT what you find in a normal preschool and for this reason I don't really feel that preschools are a good thing. BTW- I homeschooled all three of my children from middle school through high school. If I had it to do over, I would have started homeschooling earlier and they would have never entered the doors of a public school.