View Single Post
AfterSchoolMom 05:00 AM 12-29-2010
I have a question for those of you with the problem SA's. I'm not trying to start an argument here, but why do you put up with the bad behavior? You wouldn't from the younger children, so why from the older ones?

I've been known to sit all of mine down in the same room with the lights out, and have them keep totally silent and do nothing but look at each other for as long as it takes to get the point across. They think it's funny for a couple of minutes, but then when the boredom sets in... now all I have to do is threaten to do that and they usually straighten up. If they're being rude about where you go on a trip, make them sit out. If they complain about being bored? Older kids can write sentences, just like in school. I've made "I'm bored" an off-limits phrase - it is against my rules to say it! I even made a list of activities that they can choose from, so they know if they need something to do, they just choose an activity from the list.

My kids here all use manners, and we have very few problems now, even from the child that started new this year (that had a LOT of issues in the beginning).

I guess we're all different in our preferences, but I would MUCH rather have 5 SA's than 5 babies! I'm exhausted just thinking about it.