View Single Post
nannyde 05:38 AM 12-29-2010
My number one reason for no SA kids is they don't need an afternoon nap. I don't do ANY version of ANY activity during nap. I don't provide services to kids who don't need a full afternoon nap.

In my State they have to have an adult with them at all times. They can't go outside and play without having an adult out with them.

By the time they are in school most have had school lunch which where I live is very unhealthy, high fat, high sugar, high salt, processed heat and serve food. Kids who eat like this don't like my home made from scratch food.

By the time they are this age they are very addicted to video games, computer, battery toys etc. My program is toy based and I don't offer TV to the kids except during transition times like when we are getting the group into full winter gear.

Homework... I don't offer any educational assistance... and the pressure to have kids complete their homework is a problem for a lot of providers.

Parent conferencing is much higher with school aged kids because they are able to give their version of events and what they want changed. This can lead to a lot of time with the parents to go thru the events... discuss WHY... and inforce whatever the kid is protesting.

Now that very young elementary kids can cheaply have cell phones there is a direct phone line to the parent in some cases.

School aged kids are rougher on equipment and furniture.

Interpersonal relationships are harder to manage.

For me.. besides the nap... my main thing is that I believe that kids over the age of six need to be OUTSIDE and free playing... riding bikes... skateboards... scooters... playing tag... Doing play from little with as little adult involvement as possible. My State has no problem with them doing it as long as they have an adult outside with them. THAT'S the problem... the money for the adult is more than I can make off of the kids.

My son is ten and here in an hour or so he will gear up in snowpants and be outside most of the day. We live within a minute of the park and his little fool friends will be kicked outside by nine a.m. He'll come back in for hot chocolate and lunch but he WILL be outside almost all day today. I won't be out there watching it.

When I was a kid we weren't allowed to be inside if we could be outside and we NEVER had adults outside playing with us or watching us. We NEVER had adults finding stuff for us to do... doing crafts or activities. We were expected to be kids and find our own play.

Now we have the idea that kids need to be entertained by adults in some way either thru adults offering electronics or "doing stuff" with them. It's pretty rare to find school aged kids that know how to PLAY with stuff like barbies, blocks, action figures, trains, playmobil etc.

My sons current group of little fool friends LOVE coming to my house to play. I have a house FULL of school aged toys and they are so HAPPY to be inside and not out that they all want to be at my house with my huge ORGANIZED toy collection. The reason they love it is because their parents make them play outside unless it is super nasty outside. It's an oddity to them to have organized complete sets of toys and so MUCH to play with.

It's actually an issue here because the parents want them over here too. All of my sons friends but ONE doesnt allow kids in THEIR house but love it when their kid comes to mine. I've had to put the hammer down about the neighborhood school agers being over here during Christmas break because going into the second week they are getting bored with being outside and the parents want them GONE... either outside or at my house.

So today I will fend off four/five requests of my sons friends wanting to come inside and play at my house. My rule is: If your Mom says no kids in the house then I say no kids in the house. When I tell them this they say "Oh my mom doesn't care if I come to YOUR house ... she just doesn't allow kids in OUR house".

Yeah I got that... like I said... If your Mom says no kids in the house it means that she knows better than to have school aged kids in her house.. and she doesn't even DO day care!!!!!!!!!!!