View Single Post
Mariahsaint 09:23 AM 08-08-2016
Originally Posted by nannyde:
Overall quality is excellent except I would make the Velcro depth about twice as deep. I think the Velcro will fail fairly quickly with multiple washes that come from use and blow outs.

Value... I don't know the price

First use experience: I don't have a tester baby but I was able to hook it up into the equipment I have and use a doll the size of the average four month old.

I think it is pretty roomy for the age you would need it for to prevent flipping. Once a baby can flip (usually from five to seven months but some earlier and some later) they wouldn't really need it for SIDS purposes. Once a kid CAN flip on their own from back to belly there is a window of about a week after the first flip when they are at risk of succumbing to SIDS with each day from day one to seven decreasing the risk substantially. This is also, IMHO, most risky for kids who have NEVER had belly time or had very very little belly time. Babies who have had belly time from the day their cord healed until they can flip would not, IMHO, be at the same risk as they would be quite proficient in turning their heads, lifting their heads, and getting up on their forearms. All of these things avoid them rebreathing their exhaled breath.

compared to other sleep positioners: We aren't allowed to use any sleep positioners in Iowa and most States don't allow them. I can see this being useful if a kid has an order to have the head of the bed elevated for breathing or reflux to keep the baby from gravity scooting it down.

Would I recommend the product: For daycare... NO. I can't imagine any state allowing an infant restraint like this. Iowa wouldn't.

If you read the packaging advertising it says it prevents rolling over, sliding, limb entanglement and falling/climbing out of crib. That's wherein the problem lies. A kid that can climb and fall out of a crib is a kid that can get up on their knees... monkey up the side of the crib, lift one leg over or grab any elevated surface at the corner of the crib THEN lift a leg over or go out head first.

This baby isn't in the SIDS zone unless the crib or playpen is crazy shallow. The sids rates start to dramatically decline at the age of six months. A kid that can scurry over the crib is at least a year for a tall kid ... even later for an average or small kid. There are ALWAYS exceptions to the rule though. I've heard some stories of other babies (usually from their mothers) who could flip at two months and could stand at four months)

Here's my fear. I worry about hip dysplasia seen in infants who are carried around in carriers (crotch danglers) will also be seen in kids who are put in this product. If it is put on too tightly, it could cause this.

I worry about it actually being used for a restraint for kids in daycare to keep them down when they go through the phase of standing up and screaming during nap time when they should be laying down. Also the times when they can pull themselves up but can't get down.

I see this being used for the older toddlers who can scurry over the very very shallow playpen products we have now.

I worry about the surface the underneath side is attached to and if it is strong enough to hold a kid struggling to flip thus flipping his or herself over with the playpen pad and getting entrapped between the bottom of the playpen and the walls of the playpen and whatever surface the playpen bottom attaches to.

It's big and roomy enough to use on toddlers... especially the wirey ones that are scrawny and powerful.

The window of use for good and not evil is pretty darn short. The odds of getting a flipper who is two months old or even three is pretty slim. I've only had a four month flipper. They were the wirey powerful scrawny ones. Haven't had a thick one flip young.

I can see it being awesome for giving neb treatments.

I can't see any State daycare licensing ever allowing it BUT, although I have read every states home daycare regs, it has been a while and things change over time. So... who knows.

I wouldn't touch this with a ten foot pole doing daycare. With my own if he was an early flipper.... I would have gladly used it in his crib alongside my bed.

I think the inventors had good on their minds and came up with something that would really work to restrain the baby down in a crib BUT I don't think they really understand the lawsuits they are going to get when these are improperly installed and used for older babies/toddlers who have the underside attached to a crappy new playpen that's on the market today.

I think they need to really research the nap nanny lawsuits COMPLETELY and see WHY they were sued even when the product had a zillion instructions and warnings attached. Just because you put in instructions like "only use on floor" ... when people use it differently than the warnings you still get sued to oblivion.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/...wsuit/1748321/

It should NEVER be marketed to keep kids from falling and climbing out of the crib. That's go to go first. That kid isn't a sids range kid so marketing it as a sids product isn't appropriate.

Lastly, this thing... if used routinely would have to be washed a zillion times. It may not even make it one sleep period before it has to be washed once a kid has a head to toe blow out or pees through it. They really need to research the Velcro after it has been washed hundreds of times. The Velcro is the number one thing that can't fail.

Wish I could be more helpful. I can't give it any stars. I wouldn't want the liability of recommending it even with a one star.
This. This exactly.