View Single Post
CraftyMom 11:39 AM 01-31-2014
If it were me I would not be comfortable with that. You have to watch him every second while eating to make sure he isn't choking. I'd definitely talk to the parents and suggest they talk to his dr to rule out an eating disorder. I can assume they would procrastinate this but I would not take him back until the dr makes a judgment or the parents will put it off forever. Explain the importance to the parents, who are likely not as concerned, that your eyes can not be on him every second of meal time and there are other children needing attention and during that time he could choke. If he has no eating disorder I would explain as best I could to a 15 month old that he could choke and show him the proper way to eat. Then only give him a small amount at a time so it is not possible for him to shovel it in. Also have him sit in a high chair so he can not get up and look for more. I had a similar situation. The boy was 2, this tactic seemed to work. Eventually he figured it out and I could trust him with his full serving. I had another child who would just eat anything she saw as if it were hers, she would finish her food then eat from everyone else's plates. In that case it was the parents allowing her to do so at home. After a lot of repeating myself at meal times that she had to eat from her own plate she finally stopped, but that took a while.