View Single Post
mommyneedsadayoff 12:04 PM 05-24-2017
Originally Posted by Ariana:
Black males make up about 12-13% of the population but nearly 40% of the men in jail and prison. It makes sense that this kind of thing starts earlier in daycares.

Every watch the documentary called The 13th? It is great for shedding light on this topic.
I watched an excellent piece about the incarceration rates for women. I can't remember the stats exactly, but ti was something like 80% were in for non violent crimes and because of mandatory minimum sentences, there sentences were harsher than their male counterparts. In most cases, they were arrested for drugs or prostitution. Many were under the orders of pimps and were being forced to sell drugs and were also very addicted to drugs. The number of women literally going crazy and being sent to the psych ward of the prisons went from like a handful to so many that they have run out of room. Other female prisoners take turns doing suicide watch and they said their is an attempt daily. A majority of these women are mothers. One woman who was cooking meth and selling it with her boyfriend was sentenced to 58 years. There were murderers in the same prison with her who got 20.

The one thing I noticed however, was there was a very proportionate amount of different races. White, black, hispanic, ect. In male prisons, it is predominately black.