Thread: Yikes!!!
View Single Post
Kym2098 08:22 AM 05-25-2012
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
i am extremely stressed out and could use lots of advice from you all. So i started my in home childcare about 1 year ago and was clueless as what to charge families, so i have one DCK who comes M-F 7-12 AND only charge him $60 a week!!!!! so low! live in Los angeles county. i have another child who comes about 27 hours a week and i only charge $70 a week for that one! so i want to raise my price to $100 a week on both of these parent is that too drastic? also these parents like to come early and then pick up early so that they dont have to pay me should i still charge them for the early drop offs even though the pick up early? do you all give make up days if a child misses a day? PLEASE HELP! THANKS IN ADVANCE

I live on the east coast and I'm really new, just started a week ago!
I have one family right now 2x a week for a total of 16 hours and charge $45.00 a day.
It does in your case seem slightly drastic to raise rates from where they are right now, but you have to do what you have to do...
Also I work under contracted hours, so if they say drop off is at 8:30 I will not accept the child at 8 unless with prior arrangements made/extra fee.
Also I would charge extra if they picked up past the contracted time, if they are 15mins late for example.

And lastly I would not allow any make up days! Under the contracted days and hours the child is expected to be at daycare, so if the child is out sick or stays home with mom and dad but was supposed still be with you, I would stipulate in your contract that care is based on contracted hours/days not attendance. And you should still be paid.
Everyone has different ideas and thoughts on this matter, and that's why this forum is so great, lots of feedback and good advice.

I wish you the best!
Kim