Thread: Venting Thread
View Single Post
Josiegirl 10:43 AM 06-19-2020
Originally Posted by CeriBear:
I have a 4 year old who is constantly pushing my buttons with his behavior. Normally I don’t let the children’s actions get to me but this kid is making me go nuts. He can be sweet at times but when something upsets him he acts aggressive either toward himself, another child, or me. Yesterday, he kicked my assistant, slapped at me, kicked a table, and threw a toy at another child. He can’t sit still at circle time or stay focused on any activity other than running on the playground. I can handle kids who are stubborn but his aggressiveness worries me. I’ve spoken to his parents and they say when he reacts like this he is given a time out or a privilege taken away but time outs don’t work for him at school. He won’t sit quietly and he doesn’t seem to learn from them. Nor does taking away a privilege such as being “line leader” or telling him “no block area.”
IIRC, Blackcat does something like this: Overly praise the others that are following your rules while ignoring his bad behavior(unless he's physical). Then when he chooses to follow the rules, praise him as well.

Correct me if I'm wrong; BC had a much better way of telling it.