Thread: Venting Thread
View Single Post
CeriBear 04:07 AM 06-20-2020
Originally Posted by Josiegirl:
IIRC, Blackcat does something like this: Overly praise the others that are following your rules while ignoring his bad behavior(unless he's physical). Then when he chooses to follow the rules, praise him as well.

Correct me if I'm wrong; BC had a much better way of telling it.
I do this as well. I’m often commenting and praising the kids who follow the rules rather than getting after those who do little things that are wrong. If a couple of kids are messing around with each other during circle time I might say something like “look how nice and quiet John and Suzie are being. Sitting like big kids, voices off, listening to Ms. Ceri.” Usually everyone else follows suit.
It’s the aggressive behaviors that are hard to deal with. When he gets upset or frustrated he becomes aggressive towards others. I’ve tried telling him that it’s okay to be upset or angry but that he needs to just take some deep breaths and calm down before reacting. Does kicking another child really help even if the other child grabbed his green crayon? How else could he have solved the problem.