View Single Post
Kelly 12:38 PM 04-13-2012
I was a little worried about how people would react to my sons when I got started. They are both 22, have Down Syndrome and are here all the time (finished school and no state funding for adult programs.) I've only been in business a couple months but so far everyone seems to be very accepting. I did put a paragraph on my website that they are here and how important I feel it is for young children to be around all different kinds of people. I also tell parents that while they may be in the day care area and may help me with things around the house, they will not have responsibility for caring for the kids and will not be left alone with the kids. (That is for my sons' protection, not the DCK's.)

Most of the time one of my sons is in the other part of the house. The other one is in the daycare almost all the time. He loves little kids and has a lot of fun with them, especially the 3-yr-old DCB. The DCB has never seemed to notice that there is anything different about my sons.

If there was a family that didn't want their child to be here with my sons, then they're not the kind of family I want to work with anyway.