View Single Post
Nickel 06:55 PM 10-22-2012
I know a child just like this, but she is a friend of my dd. Her parents allow her to roam around the neighborhood. She has a cellphone and they call her when they want her to come home. She came to our door and I told her she had to ask her parents if she could come inside the house. And she literally called her mom and mom said yes, eventhough she had no idea who I was.

It was a sad situation. This girl would be outside at all hours of the day morning to evening roaming around and knocking on "friends" doors to see if they coudl play. Luckily nothing ever happened to her. We always felt uncomfortable for the same reasons that you do. We didn't meet or know the parents and felt wrong having her in our home without talking to them first.

I think eventually someone turned them into cps because she now has an afterschool babysitter (a high school or college student or something) that takes care of her. I don't see her roam around anymore and when I do see her after school she is with her sitter. She has also stopped ringing our doorbell which I am glad for because I never did feel quite right.

I would follow your gut. While you may feel sad for this little girl it is her parents responsibility to take care of her. Let her know that you can only let her into your home if you talk to her parents first in person. And also explain that you don't let your dd outside alone. Honesty is your best bet in this situation. She may not understand WHY but she should understand your wishes. If you are consistent she will eventually find a family that has no problem with her being around.

HTH