View Single Post
ritah 04:31 PM 10-24-2012
Hello, OP here...

May I first say that you folks ROCK! Thanks for all the very thoughtful and helpful replies. You gave me lots of food for thought.

Since my original post, I've read the replies, given a lot of thought to this situation and talked to my hubby and DD. Here's what we decided...

* My DD wants to explain to this girl that she is not able to play during the week but that she can sometimes on weekends.
* If she continues to come over during the week, I will get her phone number and call her parents to explain why DD can't play during the week (daycare, homework time, dinner, etc.).
* The next time she comes on a weekend when DD can play, I will get her phone number and call her parents to confirm that they know where she is, let them know how long DD is able to play and tell them I will either call or text them when she leaves so they can watch for her.
* While speaking with them, I will also ask that, in the future, they call or text me in advance to make sure it is a good time for DD to play.

We believe that this girl is just lonely, wants a friend to play with, and probably doesn't have the best family life (not based just on this situation, but other things she has told my daughter and I). While there does need to be boundaries, we want to support her and keep her safe in the ways we can.

Thanks again to all of you who replied and helped me get this all straightened out in my brain - I really do appreciate it!